Key Wurundjeri Services and Organisations
Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation
‘In the early 1980’s a small group of passionate Wurundjeri Elders, the Traditional Owners of Greater Melbourne, developed a shared vision for themselves and future generations of Wurundjeri people. By 1985, their vision had taken shape and the Wurundjeri Land and Compensation Cultural Heritage Council Aboriginal Corporation, a representative body, was born.’
Djirri Djirri - Wurundjeri women's dance group
We are the only Wurundjeri female dance group, and Traditional Custodians of Narrm (Melbourne). Djirri Djirri means Willy Wagtail in Woiwurrung, the language of Wurundjeri people, the Traditional Custodians of Narrm (Melbourne) and surrounds. The Willy Wagtail the Spirit Bird gave us dance! Many of our group have danced since they were young children, while others have learnt as adults. Our dances are created to honour our Liwik (Ancestors), Kerr-up-non (Family), Biik (Country) and animals. We are all related by blood through one woman, Annie Borate, William Barak's sister. We teach our dancers to also sing in Woiwurrung language, our Mother Tongue.
Other ACCOs and Organisations
A lot of ACCO’s frequented by mob living in and around Melbourne call Wurundjeri country home. Below is a list of key ACCO’s based on Wurundjeri country* or that had founding members who were Wurundjeri.
More information on these organisations can be found by following the links below to our service directory pages.
- Victorian Aboriginal Health Service (VAHS)
- Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA)
- Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service (VALS)
- Victorian Aboriginal Community Services Association Ltd (VACSAL)
- Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (VACCHO)
- Victorian Aboriginal Corporation for Languages (VACL)
- Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Inc. (VAEAI)
- Aborigines Advancement League (AAL)
- Bubup Wilam for Early Learning
- Yappera Children's Service Co-Operative Ltd
- Link Up Victoria
- Koorie Heritage Trust
- Aboriginal Housing Victoria
- Oonah Health & Community Services Aboriginal Corporation
- Koori Court
- Worawa Aboriginal College
*some of these organisations have multiple locations and have been included on this list as one or more of their offices is located on Wurundjeri Country.